Prevent ISP tracking
Your ISP knows a lot about who you are and what you do online. They can, and often do, sell this data to advertisers.
Prevent Identity theft
Identity thieves can steal your personal information to open new accounts, apply for credit or make purchases in your name.
Prevent WiFi hacking
From Wi-Fi sniffing to man-in-the-middle attacks, snoopers have many ways to swipe passwords and other sensitive data.
- A VPN is a service that you sign up for online for a small monthly charge
- Once you have an account, your VPN service should be “on” when you’re online
- A VPN, in action, takes your Internet connection and makes it more secure, helps you stay more anonymous with the assistance of incognito browsing and helps you get around blocks and access censored sites.
- The key to a VPN is that it lends you a temporary IP address and hides your true IP address from every website or email you connect with and keeps data encrypted across open free Wifi access points.
VPNs are a fairly simple tool, but they can be used to do a wide variety of things:
- Access a Business Network While Traveling:
VPNs are frequently used by business travellers to access their business’ network, including all its local network resources, while on the road. The local resources don’t have to be exposed directly to the Internet, which increases security.
- Hide Your Browsing Activity From Your Local Network and ISP:
If you’re using a public Wi-Fi connection, your browsing activity on non-HTTPS websites is visible to everyone nearby, if they know how to look. If you want to hide your browsing activity for a bit more privacy, you can connect to a VPN. The local network will only see a single, secure VPN connection. All the other traffic will travel over the VPN connection. While this can be used to bypass connection-monitoring by your Internet service provider, bear in mind that VPN providers may opt to log the traffic on their ends.
- Access Geo-Blocked Websites:
Whether you’re an American trying to access your Netflix account while travelling out of the country or you wish you could use American media sites like Netflix, Pandora, and Hulu, you’ll be able to access these region-restricted services if you connect to a VPN located in the USA.